6.11.07

Civic Action, Or An Approximation Thereof

I love Election Day.

The only drawback I've found thus far to my new state is that Oregon does mail-in voting. What?! That means I can't go smile at the senior citizens volunteering as election personnel at the church or elementary school closest to my house, sign my name on the line next to my printed name, go into the little booth, and punch my ballot (or use the computer touch screen, like I did last year). That's my favorite part of voting: the ritual! Well, the ritual and the cool sticker that proclaims to the world I Voted! (Last year's sticker had a thumbprint on it, for the touch screen voting.)

So I "forgot" to mail my ballot in time and now I have to make sure I get to the polls (I'll use my branch library's drop-spot) before 8:00 pm.

No comments: