29.6.07

Cycles: A Year of Closure & Opening


Closure is not an event. It's a series of steps backwards and forwards, stumbling, slinking, striding toward wholeness. And from closure, opening is possible. Opening memory, opening compassionate and generous heart, opening possibility.

Finding closure has been a slow accumulation. As I realized at the E11 temple burn, after I smeared snot and blue makeup on D's tunic, I could only cry for a few moments because I'd already cried all my tears. Emotional closure.

Legal closure came by way of a divorce decree being issued in Salt Lake Third District Court on June 18. My marriage to B is legally finished. We are now divorced. And somehow, that legal closure, after all we've been through together and separately, gave me a peace I hadn't realized I was lacking. Administrative closure.

Over the fifteen months we've been separated, I've been rattled to learn how many people didn't even know we had been together, let alone married. That in and of itself may be telling. Of what, I'm not entirely sure. But we were together. We were married. On a beautiful Saturday in September 2000, twenty months after falling in love, surrounded by friends and family in our new garden, we promised to feed, clothe, grow with, comfort, and love each other.

Our relationship and our marriage were never typical, by anyone's definition, and two years after we were legally married, K joined our family. Over the next three and a half years, the joys and pains we three experienced individually, collectively, and in our respective dyads was intense. Incredible joy. Excruciating pain. Those emotional extremes inform and define the other, I believe.

I've been purposefully vague in my online writings about the relationship and family transitions I've been experiencing over the past year. (I consciously choose to call it a transition rather than a breakup. My reasons for that choice varied.) Part of my reluctance to address it directly was because my feelings shift radically, and usually they shift into a space of more compassion and understanding. If I were to have regularly recorded my thoughts and feelings, much of it would have been based in the agony of my process toward healing. While painful spaces and the kinds of words that result from those spaces are valid and accurately reflected where I was in the moment, I had no desire to capture and share those words any more than I already did. Shamefully, I often spoke words of blame aloud to anyone who would hear me. Despite those words of blame, I felt simultaneously blessed and grateful for the lessons B and K gave me and the personal growth I experienced as a result of the family structure I chose to help construct and the reality we three created together.

Paradoxical emotions and the clumsy communication of how I felt seemed to cause such pain in my circle of friends and in my interactions with my former partners that writing it down seemed patently unwise. But maybe writing it out would have provided some clarity. In any case, I spent the year with a cracked skull (yes, literally) and a lot of emotional terrain to cover. It's been quite a ride, and I am profoundly grateful for all of you who have supported and loved me in spite of myself. And to those of you who never took sides or saw the transitions we were experiencing as a war or battle, even/especially when what I said or did made it seem that way, I am particularly grateful to you for that neutrality.

In the past months, I've come to see several things. Firstly, what B and K and I did was brave. We were courageous. Our friend called us "pioneers," not as though no one else had ever done what we were trying to do, but because there weren't a lot of clear paths, and we were forging our way without many guideposts or examples.

Secondly, time and space were/are necessary for me to disengage. I fought against that for a long time, and that struggling only perpetuated unhealthy cycles. My upcoming move to Oregon will likely help with that disengagement and continued healing.

Thirdly, I can see now that we all did our best with the tools we had at the time. Perhaps sometimes our best was kind of pathetic in retrospect. But still, we tried. Would I do it differently or better were I to do it again? Of course. I have more tools now than I did when I started. My compassion for B and K and the roles they played in our journey together has grown significantly. My compassion for myself has grown tremendously as well. Without that compassion for myself and my recent acknowledgment that I did the best I could, forgiving anyone was impossible.

Now I feel capable of moving forward, of continuing the opening of my heart and throat, of deepening the healing. Though they aren't regularly online these days, and may never see this post unless someone shows it to them, I still feel compelled to end by offering my most heartfelt love and gratitude to B and K. Without them, my journey of the past eight years would not be the same. Thank you both for helping me become the person I am.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Margaret Bowman said...

Leaving you after lunch today we spoke about the hope that life would bring us new grace in our actions and ourselves. I suppose there will always be the opportunity of refinement; our intentions and the Earth upon which we stand seem to promise it. And while sophistication knows itself and is pleased with what it sees, grace seems always elusive--seen only in the generosity of another. And these thoughts that you share here have given me a most pleasant vision.

Favor said...

My dear friend I am glad that I had the chance to read this. I am also so glad that you have found some closure, and that you know that many more doors are opening from this closing. kd.