1.10.05

Introductions & Explanations

Much of what I post here will likely refer to (or be directly about) my family. Since my household isn't typical, I should explain.

I've recently accepted that I'm accurately described as bisexual, although I prefer to identify as Queer. I resisted using the bisexual label for so long it's ridiculous. See, I honestly thought I was a lesbian who made a Chasing Amy-esque exception. But no. I'm bi. Bisexual identity can be a complex topic. Possible fodder for future posts . . . ?

My immediate non-bio family includes a male partner of six-plus years (B) and his female partner of nearly three years (K). Can you say polyamory? We aren't missionaries for this love-style, but it's how we live and we are (surprisingly? gratefully? happily) functional. B, K, and I are each open to new relationships, but tend to be . . . selective. This selectivity is for our individual and familial health, both physical and psychological. (No, we're not swingers. But sometimes I wish I were one. More sex would be kind of nice.)

Our human family is complemented by two dogs (Cassie and Aki), four felines (Gaia, Merlin, Smoky, and Buddy), two aquariums of waterlife ("the fish"), and a lot of indoor and outdoor plantlife ("the plants" and "the garden").
  • Cassie is a Shih-tzu/Toy American Eskimo mix, born in early 2002, and is very outdoorsy considering her pansy ancestry. We've had her since she was twelve weeks old. The people whose un-fixed dogs had a backyard breeding session that conceived dear Cassie and her brothers called her "princess" until I adopted her, and that quite accurately describes her attitude towards life. I'll stick in a dirty hiking picture, just to keep it real.
  • Aki is a Rottweiler/Blue Heeler mix, born circa 1997, lived with K's mother and stepfather until January 2005, when we adopted him. He was a ranch dog and is thrilled to sleep indoors and eat food from bowls instead of carrion. Actually, he might miss the carrion. Aki has lots of stories - maybe you'll read more about them later.
  • The cats' lives are terrifically convoluted and somehow telling stories about one's dogs seems less strange than telling the life-stories of one's cats. Since I'm strange, you'll get the cat-stories, but you're spared today. Oh, and pictures will undoubtedly follow. You've been warned.
  • The fish just aren't that interesting to me. B and K run that area of the household, thank you very much.
  • The plants and garden have fantastic lives.
Now that I've introduced some of the key players, future posts will hopefully be less confusing.

I spend my days doing law school. And doing things like this. I spend my nights doing things like this and pretending to study.

No comments: