20.11.05

Raw for the Folks

Trying to explain and demonstrate raw, living foods to my parents - who fed me canned and frozen veggies and hamburger helper my entire childhood - is a lesson in patience. Today I visited the parents because I won't see them on Thanksgiving and we wanted to celebrate my dad's upcoming birthday. After I prepared the raw pizzas, my mom fully expected to stick them in the microwave. She really doesn't get it. But she did enjoy the raw carrot cake. Until she found out about how many nuts are in it and then worried about the fat content. When I explained that eating a 100% fat-free diet is really unhealthy and that "good" fats are necessary, she had a glazed look like she was completely tuning me out. Typical of our dynamic. You tune me out; I'll tune you out.

** I didn't provide any links to raw, living food because so many of the sites are cultish-sounding and extreme. But if you want to check something out that isn't as strange as many sites, go to Storm and Jingee's place.

No comments: