1.11.05

Because Really, A Frozen Cat Is Funny

Okay, so if you read the previous post, you may have been biting your lip, or laughing out loud, thinking, "Man, too bad her cat died, but a frozen cat is really pretty funny." Maybe I'm kidding myself. Perhaps you didn't really think it was too bad before the amusement set in, but that's how the scenario goes in my mind.

Well, you're right. The concept of a frozen cat is rather amusing. Before I got home from San Diego, and before I went to the vet to see her body (they'd already removed her collar, but they gave it to me), I was thinking about one of my favorite indy B-grade movies, Rubin & Ed. For an enthuasiastic description, go here for an excerpt from the 1993 Motion Picture Guide Annual and posted to the Crispin Hellion Glover Resource Center, a self-described "temple of devotion to him." Mmm hmmm.

The director's "official" site is where I nabbed the photos. You can buy a tee shirt there with Simon's weird-looking face on it and the impressive statement that "my cat can eat a whole watermelon!"

Like this one of Rubin carrying the cooler with frozen Simon inside. (Guess what happens when he runs out of water?)



Or this fabulous shot of the striped floodpants and platforms.




Since I am still mourning the loss of my animal companion of seven years, I'll probably hold off watching it anytime soon. Or maybe not. Maybe after we get her ashes I'll have a good long cry followed by a good long laugh while watching this bizarre piece of cinematic history.

3 comments:

Trista said...

I didn't think it was funny. It reminded me of the cheesy lesbian movie When night is falling and the woman's dog dies and she puts it in the fridge cause she can't deal with the grief right then and then later she goes and buries the dog in the snow and it resurrects after she leaves.

Mossie said...

Oooh, that movie's been on my to-watch list for several years. It's cheesy? Erm, maybe I'll take it off the list . . . although a dog resurrection (NOT ala Pet Sematary) would be interesting.

Trista said...

Cheesy, but in a sexy way. Like Tipping the Velvet. DO see it. It is very artistic. Artistic almost in a "they tried way too hard" kind of way.