23.1.08

consume this

Victor Lebow, a post WWII retailing analyst:
"Our enormously productive economy . . . demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption . . . we need things consumed, burned up, replaced, and discarded at an ever-accelerating rate.
This article, and the above quote, have prompted me to find creative ways around outright replacing my dear technological companion, though the prospect of being away from her again for repairs tears at my heart. (Why do they make these things disposable?! They told me I was LUCKY to get three years out of my laptop!)

So again I tell myself: Buy less. Live more.

.

1 comment:

Lori said...

In response to your last comment on my blog, please understand that I know all abortions do not boil down to "I don't want it." In fact, I am sure that, when boiled down, none of them truly do.